Digital Blog Post #A - Chapter 1

The three concepts to reflect upon re: Chapter 1

1) The first concept I will reflect upon is the use of Tech Tools which include Tablets,Smartphones and Laptops in the classroom. Technology plays a big part in today's society. As stated in the book when you enter teaching you will quickly find that every part of the job is tied to computers and the information they help you access,manage, and share with students. After working at a preschool for almost a year I defiantly agree with this as I have witnessed it first hand. In the VPK program I work in we are required to do the teaching strategies GOLD assessments. After each assessment is completed we have to log everything into an online program to track students individual progress. This includes taking videos and pictures of the students to show the kinds of activities participated in. The way we document everything is buy using Tablets and Laptops in the classroom. Each VPK class is assigned a personal Tablet to take pictures and videos of the children were we can directly upload it to each child's individual assessment. This is a great way to visually shows students progress through pictures and videos. Tech tools are a great way to get students involved. They often can be very helpful to students and teachers. There are many different Apps that can be used for thousands of different educational purposes.

2) The second concept I will reflect upon is a Technology- based learning environment. This type of learning style offers new possibility's for extending the classroom beyond the school day. This is my first time partaking in an online course and I must say I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if I would gain the same amount of information. Participating in the online course so far has been very helpful to me. My professors in both courses use canvas as our main online contacting source. Using the online database gives me plenty of resources such as online discussion boards to post questions I have, extra readings and videos related to the course to help with assignments and studying, video clips to provide assistance on certain assignments and virtual online meetings with my professor to ensure I get the best grade I can. All of these are great resources that make technology bases learning easy and effective.

3) The third concept I will reflect upon is Inquiry Based learning environments. Inquiry based means that you are preparing ,delivering and assessing lessons differently while students think critically and creatively about the learning they do and the technologies they use. A couple months ago my VPK classroom got a Smart Board which is an interactive whiteboard that uses touch detection for user inputIncorporating the smart board in our lessons has been the best thing for our class. The children get to interact and participate in many different hands on activities. The smart board has thousands of educational programs to help incorporate into all lessons. The children get to use their creativity while using and learning about technology. Its a great way to get the students involved and thinking critically.

In conclusion, technology is driving profound changes in every aspect of modern society, transforming how children and teachers live, interact,and understand their world. Students who grow up in today's society will have a better understating of technology and its uses. After reading chapter 1 ,I realize that there is so much more for me to learn about becoming a proficient 21st century teacher. I look forward to gaining more knowledge about technology use in the K-12 classroom.

Resources
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
 https://gold.teachingstrategies.com/content/GOLD/helpitems/GOLD_Progressions_EN.pdf
SMART BOARD - ELEMENTARY EDUCATION [Video file]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCfmJCSAG70

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campus trails and sustainability at FGCU

Digital Blog Post #E Chapters 4,7,& 9